Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Liquid Prayers

Sometimes there are such concerns in our lives that only tears flow and we know not how to pray. I was praying about a concern when I realized my heart was broken of the outcome of this particular situation. We all have those. It's when your very insides want to turn outside. It began in the spiritual realm and has manifested in the physical. When we don't deal with it as a spiritual problem, it has no choice but to manifest. Spiritual warfare is tough. That's when we must dress for battle (Ephesians 6:10-18).

Tears in the scriptures play a unique role in spiritual breakthrough. Psalm reminds us that the planting of the seeds accompanied by a spirit of brokenness will not only bring a harvest of results, but will leave the sower with a spirit of rejoicing in the process (Psalm 126:5-6). This is a picture often called "liquid prayers."

First, there are tears of sorrow or suffering (2 Kings 20:5). Second, there are tears of repentance (Joel 2:12). Third, there are tears of compassion (John 11:35). Fourth, there are tears of desperation (Esther 4:1,3). Fifth, there are tears of travail, or giving of birth (Isaiah 42:14). Sixth, there are tears of joy (Genesis 33:4).

A passion in spiritual warfare is clearly needed. Is not our heavenly Father waiting on us?

1 comment:

  1. I just read this...THANK YOU. For months I have walked around feeling like I could cry at any moment. I even tried to rebuke it...feeling it was from the enemy (a spirit of heaviness.) It remains with me and now I realize it was the Spirit of God within me, grieving. I have asked forgiveness for not asking and listening sooner.

    Since the earthquake and tsunami in Japan more than two weeks ago, the tears, and the grief, have greatly increased. My prayers seem to small when the devastation and needs are so great.

    Thank you for helping me identify what the tears are about. You would think I would know by now...but I realize I can confuse the Holy Spirit's emotions with my own. I have had tears of compassion and great sorrow for our friends and for a nation that, for the most part, does not know God. I am trusting that my tears, as well as my prayers will not go unnoticed by the One who IS compassion and love far beyond all our understanding.

    ReplyDelete